Sunday, November 8, 2009

Lost my (Roasting) Virginity

I did it. My first roast last night. I don't know what to say, other than I guess I was feeling "wife-y" or like little Suzy Homemaker.

I also kind of get (if you can say that) the myth of "engagement chicken" a bit more. Rumor has it, you make that dish, and your man proposes. You can read more about it here, but I don't think it's the recipe itself, it's more the roast (I actually considered the recipe, but I was afraid of all that lemon in there). Something about making a roast probably smacks your guy upside the head and all he can see is "family" I don't know. Maybe. Or maybe I just offended all the "readers" of my blog.


Here is the recipe I used. I followed it exactly, except the chicken I used was closer to 3.5/4lbs, so it did have to cook a little longer. I made roasted red potatoes with asparagus with it. Perfect combo!


Roasted Red Potatoes with Asparagus

6-8 red potatoes
1 bunch of asparagus
2 T olive oil
2 T minced garlic
2 t fresh thyme
2 t crushed rosemary
1/2 t kosher sea salt

Preheat oven to 425. Boil potatoes in water for about 10 minutes. They don't have to be fully cooked, just softened. Meanwhile, mix garlic, olive oil, thyme, rosemary, and salt in small bowl, and stir well. When potatoes are boiled, cut into chunks, place in glass baking pan, and pour olive oil mixture over them. Stir to coat, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, add asparagus (cut into chunks), stir to coat with olive oil mixture as well, and cook for another 15 minutes, uncovered.

Adapted from this recipe.


I served the meal with a Polka dot Riesling. Since the original recipe-poster for the chicken said the recipe was German, I thought a Riesling would go great. I honestly don't know if I would have picked up this particular one if the wine store I was at had a bigger selection, but it was pretty good. It was crisp and sweet, and went well with the meal. I just wish the flavor was a little bolder.


image from: www.gallofamilystore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment