Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ham and Potato Soup

It's finally started to get a bit chilly in these parts, and my fall comfort food cravings have officially begun. Finally! Thick, hearty soups are one type of food I've been excited to make.

When I came across this recipe for ham and potato soup, I thought, "this looks delicious, but where's the cheese?" (which I may think more often than I'd actually like to admit). I made a mental note to add a bunch of cheddar cheese to the recipe when I got around to making it.

Well, wouldn't you know, when I was making my grocery list for the week, I totally forgot the fact that I was planning to add cheese and ended up not having any on hand. And the last thing I wanted to do on the cold, rainy, perfect for a thick, filling soup type of night was drive out in the rain to pick up some cheese. Even I have my limits. So no cheese. We'll have to see how this goes.

Well, fear not! This recipe turned out pretty darn good, even without the cheese! The flavors were awesome, and it was stick-to-your-bones comforting. 


Ham and Potato Soup
(serves 6)

4-5 large potatoes, chopped
1 small bunch of celery, finely diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cups of cooked ham, finely diced
4 cups of water
1 packet of (sodium-free) instant beef broth
1 teaspoon of salt
black pepper

5 Tablespoons of butter
5 Tablespoons of flour
1 cup of skim milk
1 cup of half and half

Directions: Place potatoes, onion, celery, and ham in a large stock pot. Cover with water, and add salt, pepper, and instant beef broth. Bring water to a boil, and keep at a rolling boil until potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.

When potatoes are tender, heat butter in small saucepan and when it's melted, create a roux with the flour, whisking often. When fully mixed, add to boiling potatoes and veggies. Stir to combine, and mash the potatoes with a fork a bit to smooth them out. Add the milk and half and half, stir to combine, and let boil for a few minutes more. Enjoy!

Adapted from allrecipes, original recipe here.

I apologize for the slightly less than appetizing photo, but I swear it was delicious! I've learned that creamy soups are a bit difficult to photograph...

No comments:

Post a Comment