Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Butternut Squash Vegetable Soup

New Jersey has always gotten somewhat of a bad rap. TV shows like Jersey Shore and the Real Housewives of New Jersey certainly didn't help this, yet I can't blame it all on them. However, I love where I live. New Jersey has both beaches and ski resorts, forests, farms, and cities. We experience all four seasons, yet nothing too extreme. We're within a few hours drive from most major cities in the Northeast. And most importantly, New Jersey is the Garden State.

Laugh all you will, but until the other weekend I really had no idea how much produce came out of the Garden State. Obviously, I'm a huge fan of Jersey tomatoes in the summer, and I know there are a large number of blueberry and cranberry fields nearby too. But the farmers market H and I went to made me realize that those few things are far from all the area has to offer.

Now I've been to farmers markets before too, of course, but they've usually been small, mom-and-pop, side-of-the-road ones with just a few things to pick from. This one, however, was huge! Huge. I was surprised to see eggplants, pumpkins, pears, more types of squash, peppers, greens, and apples than I knew existed, all grown on the neighboring farms. And when I saw the you-pick schedule that included grapes, peaches, cherries, raspberries, and plums throughout the summer, I was blown away. Who knew? Clearly, not me.

I was definitely inspired, to say the least. All those fresh, cheap ingredients was like heaven for me. H had to stop me from going a bit crazy.

Two of the vegetables that I bought were kale and butternut squash. I've never cooked with either of these before, so needless to say I was excited. I did want to find a recipe that included both of them, and at times like that, I turn to allrecipes.com's ingredient search. There was only one recipe that included both of those ingredients (which made my decision easier) and it sounded good, so onto the menu it went.

It turned out really well! It was hearty, filling, and healthy, and the butternut squash gave it a great flavor. I got some crusty French bread to serve with it and absorb all that delicious broth.


Butternut Squash Vegetable Soup
(serves 8-10)

1/4 cup of olive oil

1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced

1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 red potatoes, peeled and chopped

4 cups of chopped kale
12 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon of thyme
1/2 teaspoon of salt
black pepper

Directions
: In a large stockpot, saute onion and garlic until onion is soft and translucent, about 15 minutes. Add carrots, butternut squash, and potatoes, and continue to cook for about 20 minutes. Add vegetable stock, kale, thyme, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Let simmer for at least 45 minutes.

Take about 3 cups of the soup, and set aside. When slightly cooled, place into a blender. Puree until it reaches a thick liquid, return it to the stock pot, and stir. Serve with a crusty French bread, and enjoy!

Adapted from allrecipes.com, original recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment