Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New Recipe Review- Ham with Garlic and Rosemary

Every spring, our grocery store has a promotion- spend a certain amount of money in a couple months, and you receive a free ham (or small turkey, or frozen lasagna, but we chose the ham). Anyway, we finally got our ham, and it's not exactly small! I had to find a recipe to use on this giant - to us! - 8.5lb ham.

So, for my new recipe last week, I chose Ham with Garlic and Rosemary, from epicurious.com. This recipe intrigued me because I have never heard of seasoning a ham with garlic and rosemary before. The brown sugar and mustard, of course- they're ham staples, but garlic and rosemary? Hm... I have to try it!

I have to say I'm glad I did, the ham had a great and unique flavor. I did make a few changes- the cook time seemed a little low (I guess since it was for a cooked ham), so I ended up using the time on the ham package, which I suppose is the best bet- 20 minutes per pound at 325. I also kept it covered for the majority of the cook time and added the mustard/brown sugar mixture as a glaze in the last 30 minutes, and left it uncovered after that. I served it with homemade macaroni and cheese and a garden salad. It was really, really, good and I'm definitely glad I tried this one!


And the menu for this week now includes 101 ways to use leftover ham- ham/potato casserole, chicken cordon bleu, ham/pineapple pizza... what else can I think of??

No comments:

Post a Comment