Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summer Chili

For as long as I can remember, I've loved the summer. What kid doesn't? Combine that natural love with the fact that I grew up 10 minutes from the beach, I just about lived for summertime. I have always had a soft spot for that first brisk morning in September as well, but it was always overpowered by the melancholy of a new school year just begun.

All that love for the summer began to fade when I was in college. My school had an all-year-round, four quarter system as opposed to the traditional two semesters set-up. Summer wasn't nearly as wonderful while spent attending classes in a sweltering city as it was while lying on the beach with nothing to do. Go figure.

But enough nostalgia. Now, as a full-fledged grown-up, I no longer live near the beach, nor do I have a good 2 month break in responsibility during the summer. And that, dear friends, means that fall has officially emerged as my absolute-favorite-I-totally-live-for-this-time-of-year season.

And after the unusually hot and oh-so-humid summer we've had this year, I'm even more completely ready for fall now than I usually am. And although I love cooking with the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies we have available in the summer, there are so many things I look forward to making in the fall. One of those things is chili. Man oh man, do I love the smell (and taste!) of chili cooking away in the crock-pot on a chilly day.

So, when I found a recipe for "summer chili," which combines the chili I love during the fall with the vegetables I love during the summer, I knew I had to give this a try. And what do you know? It has zucchini- even more perfect!!


Summer Chili

1 lb ground turkey
1 lb Italian sausage

2 (28 oz.) cans of diced, fire-roaster tomatoes
1 (6 oz.) can of tomato paste
1(8 oz.) can of tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 (12 oz.) bottle of beer- I used Samuel Adams Summer Ale

2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 large zucchini, halved and sliced
1 large yellow squash, halved and sliced
1 package of frozen corn
1 (10 oz.) bag fresh spinach, chopped

1 1/2 cups kidney beans
1 1/2 cups pinto beans

2 Tablespoons chili powder
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
black pepper

Directions: Brown sausage and turkey in saucepan until cooked through. Drain, and place in crockpot. Add rest of ingredients to crock pot, set to low, and allow to cook for 8-10 hours. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!

This was really good- it's still a little heavy (it is chili after all!) but the vegetables were a great addition. Adapted from a la carte kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment